In 2021, the US Working Group for Broiler Welfare (Working Group) was formed to provide an opportunity for industry leaders to collaboratively approach, in a pre-competitive manner, how to improve broiler chicken welfare through the lens of the Better Chicken Commitment. Facilitated by Compassion in World Farming and The New Green Normal, the Working Group has grown from the original group of 7 companies to now include 19 companies committed to shifting the industry forward to align with higher welfare standards.
The Working Group meets regularly to explore practical strategies and creative solutions that will enable progress toward BCC commitments, shifting broiler chicken supply chains in a way that meaningfully improves welfare. The efforts and learnings of this group will create positive momentum and motivate widespread progress among the industry leaders in alignment with the Better Chicken Commitment.
Beginning in 2023, all members of the US Working Group for Broiler Welfare must meet the following standards:
- Publicly commit to the Better Chicken Commitment prior to joining, which includes all criteria in either version 1 or version 2 of the North American BCC.
- Draft a roadmap within six months for Compassion in World Farming to review
- Publish a public roadmap within 12 months of joining the Working Group that details an implementation plan with clear, informed milestones and demonstrates meaningful annual progress for all BCC tenets until 100% compliant
- Attend quarterly Working Group meetings
- Attend quarterly meetings with a member of Compassion’s Food Business Team
- Annual public reporting that demonstrates meaningful progress towards implementation of the BCC tenets
- Publicly report each year by Jan 31 to be featured in end-of-quarter ChickenTrack Report
Current Working Group members have until the end of 2023, to meet the expected membership standards listed above.
Out of the 19 Working Group member companies, 13 are reporting progress toward BCC compliance. Their progress is featured in our latest ChickenTrack report.
Working Group Member Companies
In recognition of the collaboration needed to improve broiler chicken welfare, 19 leading food and restaurant companies – Applegate, Aramark, Bon Appetit, Compass Group, Delaware North, Earth Animal, Elior, Giant Eagle, HelloFresh US, Martha Stewart & Marley Spoon, Natural Grocers, Panera Bread, Pret A Manger, Shake Shack, Sodexo, Southwest Foodservice Excellence, Target, Whole Foods, and Woworks – have come together to form the US Working Group for Broiler Welfare.