There are many ways that you can help to improve the welfare of turkeys:
Top ways to help
- Buy higher welfare turkey that meets Animal Welfare Approved, Global Animal Partnership, or Certified Humane standards. If these options are not available, buy USDA Organic or free-range turkey.
- Request organic or free-range turkey in restaurants.
- Speak to the manager of your local supermarket and request that they stock only higher welfare turkey.
- Choose to Eat Plants For a Change by participating in Meatless Mondays.
- Encourage friends and family to buy certified higher welfare, organic, or free-range turkey.
- Check the content of ready meals and turkey products. Buy products that contain free-range or organic turkey. Ask your local retailer to stock products containing higher welfare turkey.
- Contact your local newspaper, radio, and TV station and ask them to carry a feature on turkey welfare.
- Join Compassion in World Farming with a monthly gift or donation to support our work
What else can be done?
Find out more about the labels to look for when shopping for turkey.