We believe food companies in every sector have an important role in building a better food system—and the potential to lead the way.
Compassion USA’s Food Business team works closely with food companies to foster a transition to a more compassionate, fair, and sustainable food and farming system. We advise companies at every stage of their journey and focus on solutions—providing scientific and technical guidance, market expertise, and collaborative problem-solving as companies set policies and implement change across their supply chains.
We also firmly believe in transparent progress reporting. Not only is regular public reporting a critical tool that ensures companies continue to make progress against their commitments, but it also signals to farmers and investors that these company commitments are valuable and they should continue to invest in more sustainable and higher welfare infrastructure.
Compassion in World Farming developed first-of-their-kind tools, EggTrack and ChickenTrack, to monitor company progress against their commitments and ensure transparency in the marketplace for consumers. Both annual reports are designed to help food companies meet the goals outlined in their higher-welfare chicken commitments on or ahead of schedule.
When motivated, leading companies can make fast and decisive improvements that can benefit millions of animals, each and every year.
We work with leading food companies to encourage them to commit to higher welfare production, practices, and sourcing policies throughout their supply.
OVER 2.5 BILLION!
Animals set to benefit each year from these commitments
The pillars of our Food Business program are:
- Working with the entire food industry, including producers (from individual farmers to integrated companies), manufacturers, retailers, food service, and restaurants
- Supporting the development and implementation of corporate animal welfare policies and species-specific commitments, including fostering B2B dialogue at events like our annual Better Chicken Leadership Forum
- Promoting transparency via our annual EggTrack and ChickenTrack reports to facilitate smooth market transitions for producers and purchasers alike
- Providing technical guidance from animal welfare scientists and a free library of science-based technical resources on key animal welfare issues
- Developing corporate strategies to achieve a balanced and sustainable protein portfolio, including measurement, target-setting, and piloting
- Celebrating company progress in the media and via our Good Farm Animal Welfare Awards®
Designed specifically for food companies, our resources provide science-based guidance on key animal welfare issues, with a particular focus on egg-laying hens and chickens raised for meat (also known as “broilers”).EXPLORE OUR RESOURCES
Our EggTrack report is a first-of-its-kind tool designed to provide an annual overview of global and regional market dynamics, as well as individual company progress towards 100% cage-free egg commitments.VIEW EGGTRACK
Our most ambitious progress tracking tool to date is designed to help companies reach their higher welfare chicken commitments on or ahead of schedule, providing a yearly market overview and individual company progress (starting in 2021).VIEW CHICKENTRACK
SUSTAINABLE FOOD PROGRAM
To ensure a sustainable, nutritious, and prosperous future of food and farming, Compassion works to ensure companies understand the multidimensional impact of food production, can evaluate their environmental footprint to identify hot spots and opportunity areas, set science-based targets to lower their footprint, and establish balanced protein portfolios that embrace consumer choice and protect our planet.LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR SUSTAINABLE FOOD PROGRAM
BUSINESS BENCHMARK FOR FARM ANIMAL WELFARE
Compassion is a founding member and continued supporter of the annual Business Benchmark for Farm Animal Welfare (BBFAW), the leading measure of policy commitment, performance, and disclosure on animal welfare in food company supply chains. This globally-recognized investor framework assesses the quality of companies’ practices, processes, and performance on farmed animal welfare.LEARN MORE ABOUT BBFAW
BETTER CHICKEN LEADERSHIP FORUM
An annual event for companies, the Better Chicken Leadership Forum is intended to foster B2B dialogue and provide a venue to identify and solve the cross-sector challenges that arise during the transition to higher welfare chicken.