This recipe was originally created by and published on Rouxbe.
Makes 4-5 servings
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 blocks* of extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 1/2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp olive oil (optional) or 3 tbsp vegetable stock if not using oil
- 1 cup white onion, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup peppers, diced (red, orange etc.)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp Indian black salt (optional)*
- First, gather and prepare your mix ins like herbs and veggies
To prepare the scramble, in a bowl, crumble the tofu, add the tamari and set aside.
Next, bring a fry pan to medium–high heat and add the olive oil. Add the onions and reduce heat to medium. Sauté until they are translucent and golden, then add the garlic.
Once the onion and garlic are caramelized, add the peppers, spinach and crumbled tofu. Cook on high heat for 4 minutes until the ingredients begin to brown slightly.
Next, add the nutritional yeast, optional Indian black salt, turmeric and pepper and cook another 3 to 5 minutes.
Right before serving, add the handful of fresh Italian herbs.
*Black salt is a sulfur rich salt that despite its name is greyer in color. Black salt is popular in Indian cooking, and once used has a very distinct sulphuric aroma. For eggless cuisine, this salt is quite popular for scrambles and frittatas.
Make this recipe? Take a photo, use #EatPlantsForAChange, tag us @CompassionUSA, and we just might share it!
And don't forget to sign up to Eat plants. For a change. for more recipes like this one right to your inbox!