View this post on Instagram
Roasted Red Pepper & Garlic Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Cook Time: 30-60 minutes (depending on method).
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup cashews ground into fine powder
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese*
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Roast the garlic. The fastest way is to place the cloves on a piece of aluminum foil with a dash of oil, then close the foil to create a pouch and roast at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Roast the red pepper. You can do this directly on the oven rack at 450°F for 30 minutes, or if you have a gas stove, roast the pepper over the flame until all sides are blackened. Allow the pepper to cool, then remove most of the charred bits, stem, core and seeds.
- Add the red pepper, garlic, cream cheese, cashew powder, oil, tomato paste (if using), salt and pepper to a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Heat the sauce in the microwave or stove top before using.
*In a pinch you can substitute cashew cream (1.5cups raw cashews soaked overnight then blended with 3/4 cup water), or unsweetened plant milk for a thinner sauce.
Make this recipe? Take a photo, use #EatPlantsForAChange, tag us @CompassionUSA, and we just might share it!
And don't forget to sign up to Eat plants. For a change. for more recipes like this one right to your inbox!