There are many ways that you can help improve the welfare of dairy cows and their calves:
- Buy dairy products that are certified to Animal Welfare Approved standards. If unavailable, buy Certified Humane or USDA Organic.
- Buy dairy products from local, small-scale dairy farms that provide access to pasture.
- Speak to the manager of your local supermarket to ask him or her not to stock milk from “zero-grazing” systems (which do not provide any access to pasture).
- Use dairy alternatives such as soy, coconut or almond milk, yogurts, or desserts.
- Encourage friends and family to buy Animal Welfare Approved, Certified Humane, or USDA Organic dairy products.
- Contact your local newspaper, radio, and TV stations and ask them to highlight the welfare of dairy cows and their calves.
- Ask local retailers to stock higher welfare dairy products.
- If you have a local dairy or farm shop, ask the farm manager about his or her rearing standards for dairy cows and calves.
- Find out more about the labels to look for when shopping for dairy products.
What else can be done?
- Join Compassion in World Farming with a monthly gift or donation to support our work.