There are many ways that you can help to improve the welfare of broiler chickens.
Top ways to help
- Buy higher welfare chicken meat that meets Animal Welfare Approved, Global Animal Partnership, Regenerative Organic Certified, or Certified Humane free-range or pasture-raised standards. See our Compassionate Food Guide for more information on meaningful labels to look for when shopping for chicken. If these options are not available, buy USDA Organic or pasture-raised poultry.
- See which companies are moving towards better welfare for broiler chickens using ChickenTrack, our online tracker.
- Request certified higher welfare, free-range, or pasture-raised poultry in restaurants.
- Choose to Eat Plants. For a Change. by opting for more plant-based options, meat-free chicken alternatives, or participating in Meatless Mondays.
- Encourage friends and family to buy certified higher welfare, free-range, or pasture-raised chicken.
- Check the content of ready meals and chicken products. Buy products that contain certified higher welfare, free-range, or pasture-raised chicken. Ask your local retailer to stock products containing higher welfare chicken and speak to the manager of your local supermarket and request that they stock only higher welfare chicken.
- Contact your local newspaper, radio, and TV station and ask them to carry a feature on chicken welfare.