Join our award winning team and help change billions of lives. Including yours.
Job Title: Animal Welfare Specialist
Position Location: Atlanta or remote (with preference for east coast near a major airport)
Terms of Employment: Full time
Last Updated: January 10, 2019
Application deadline: March 13, 2019, 11:59 pm ET
This position will underpin the technical knowledge and resource delivery of the Food Business team, across a wide range of farm animal species and welfare issues. The right candidate will ideally possess specialist knowledge in poultry welfare.
The post holder will develop, plan and manage various Food Business projects. This may include, but is not limited to, research and report writing, supply chain analysis, resource development, and performance evaluation. The position will require individual ownership over said projects, while working in close collaboration and partnership with organizational colleagues and consultants.
The Animal Welfare Specialist will provide technical support for a range of external partnership and oversee analytical tracking that feeds into the overarching Food Business KPIs. The post holder will also contribute to the development of the Food Business team’s research objectives in its strategic planning.
Primary Responsibilities & Duties
- Plan, manage and implement the Food Business research and technical program, in consultation with the Executive Director and Head of Food Business
- Work with colleagues in the Food Business team and external stakeholders to plan, manage and develop integrated partnership projects, addressing specific animal welfare related issues
- Work with US and global colleagues and external stakeholders to plan, manage and develop integrated partnership projects, addressing food system sustainability, including the intersectionality of animal welfare and the need for diversification of protein sources.
- Provide technical support to the Food Business team when collaborating directly with corporate partners and industry groups
- Develop positive ongoing working relationships with other members of Compassion and with external partners such as consultants, academics, standards, and other NGOs
- Contribute to the department’s strategic development and implementation activities
- Represent Compassion in a wide range of environments, including academic and industry meetings
- Represent the organization in alignment with the Food Business objectives through coalition work and other external group projects
- Communicate effectively with diverse audiences via a range of media, including information sheets, the Food Business website, case studies, reports, journal articles, and trade media copy and video
- Develop and maintain analytical reporting structures and tracking of progress with regard to the Food Business team objectives and KPIs
- Educated to advanced degree (Vet or PhD) level or equivalent in a relevant discipline (such as, but not limited to, animal welfare and behavior, animal science, zoology, veterinary medicine)
- Demonstrable experience of working with or in the food industry
- Proven knowledge of farm animal welfare science
- Proven knowledge and experience of farm animal management, standards and practices
- Proven knowledge and experience of food, farming or related industries
- Proven scientific research and critical analysis skills
- Proven ability to plan and manage concurrent projects simultaneously
- Proven effective management of partnership projects with external stakeholders
- Proven written, verbal and presentation and communication skills for diverse audiences
- Sensitivity to diverse global social and cultural issues
- Proven computer skills including Microsoft Office applications
- Effective time management with the ability to prioritize to ensure deadlines are met
- Proven budget management skills
- Able to work independently on own initiative and as part of a team
- Proof reading / close attention to detail
- Commitment to CIWF’s philosophy and missions and to the objectives of the organization
- Personal qualities should include: team player, trustworthy and professional, diplomatic, organized, demonstrates initiative, innovative and creative, positive, approachable and adaptable, compassionate to people and animals, strategic, forward thinking
CIWF offers a generous benefits package including 25 days vacation, ample sick leave, paid family and medical leave, flexible work schedules, healthcare reimbursement, and a 403(b) retirement plan, all in a respectful, vibrant and welcoming work environment.
CIWF is an equal opportunity employer, and supports the facilitation of diversity, representation, and inclusivity within the animal protection movement.
To apply, please answer the following questions and send along with your resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Why do you want to work at CIWF?
2. What relevant experience do you have to succeed in this role?
3. To what do you attribute your past successes?
4. What are your salary expectations?