There are several ways that you can help to improve the welfare of sheep.
Top ways to help
- Buy lamb, mutton, and dairy products that ensure that sheep have access to pasture: Look for meat from farms that have been certified by Animal Welfare Approved or Certified Humane, or buy USDA Organic lamb.
- Buy locally produced lamb and mutton. Sheep raised locally typically do not have to be transported as far to slaughter, and avoid many of the stressors and potential injuries associated with extended transport.
- Ask your friends and family to only buy lamb if the animals were raised on pasture.
- Choose plant based alternatives or participate in Meatless Monday.
What else can be done?
- Ask the Australian Prime Minister to make sure the wool industry adheres to its commitment to bring an end to mulesing.
- Avoid wool products from sheep that may have been subjected to mulesing, such as Merino wool. Find out whether clothing stores have banned the use of wool from mulesed sheep.
- Choose synthetic alternatives to wool.
- Speak to the manager of your local supermarket and encourage him or her to source lamb from animals who are not subjected to tail docking or castration
- Join Compassion in World Farming with a monthly gift or donation to support our work.