Pastured Poultry Week 2015 is Coming
We’re gearing up for our annual Pastured Poultry Week! We’ll be in three states again this July: Georgia, New York, and South Carolina.
During Pastured Poultry Week, restaurants opt for more humane, sustainable pasture raised chicken over conventional factory farmed chicken. The ultimate goal is for the restaurants to switch to pastured poultry all year round, if they haven’t already. Pastured Poultry Week celebrates a way to farm which is better for the environment, our health, and the animals.
Features of the Pasture Raised Bird
- Slower growing breeds that take up to twice as long to reach the same weight as the modern broiler chicken
- Fewer leg problems due to slower growth, and fewer respiratory issues
- Plenty of space to roam on pasture, and enrichment to allow a chicken to be a chicken
- Freedom to express natural behaviors like scratching, wing flapping, and perching
- More natural living conditions so routine antibiotics aren't needed
- Better nutrition for you, and more sustainable for the planet
This Year's Event
Once a year during Pastured Poultry Week, we take a moment to celebrate restaurants and chefs who meet best practices for their sourcing of one animal we hold particularly close to our hearts: the chicken.
All participating restaurants have agreed to adhere to a strict list of criteria in order to be accepted into the event, so restaurant goers can be sure they are being served truly better chicken.
Our kickoff event will be held in Atlanta on July 8, 2015 hosted by Chef Shaun Doty at his restaurant Bantam + Biddy. Whole Foods Market is generously providing additional food for the event. This event is a great way for participating chefs and restaurants and supportive community members to meet, mingle, and celebrate the virtues of good food. If you’re in the Atlanta area, we’d love to have you join!
We Need You!
- If you know of a restaurant in NY, GA, or SC that you’d like to see participate, let us know!
- If you are interested in volunteering for the preparation and launch of Pastured Poultry Week 2015, please email email@example.com with the subject line PPW.
- Please donate now to help improve the lives of farm animals!
- Sign the Better Chicken Petition if you believe a chicken should be allowed to be a chicken.