The impact of our Food Business work
- Starting in 2007, we launched the Good Egg Award which recognizes companies that are using or are committed to using only cage-free eggs or egg products.
- In 2010, under the umbrella of the Good Farm Animal Welfare Awards, we added the Good Chicken Award, which recognizes companies for rearing or committing to rear meat chickens in higher welfare systems.
- In 2011, the Good Dairy Award was launched, recognising companies that are using or are committed to using higher welfare systems for both dairy cows and calves.
- In 2012, the Awards program expanded again to include the Good Pig Award which recognizes companies using or committed to using higher welfare systems for both sows and meat pigs.
- Our bi-annual Supermarket Awards are based on our Supermarket Survey which scores and rates Europe’s top supermarkets on their approach and performance in the area of farm animal welfare. The next Supermarket Survey will be distributed and awarded in 2013. We also plan to adapt the format for use with other food companies.
Expanding team, international impact
Thanks to the generosity of our supporters, the Food Business program is going from strength to strength. Your support has allowed us to invest in specialist staff and resources, and as a direct result, we have been able to drive change internationally and across a wider range of food companies: improving the lives of millions of animals and bringing our vision of a world without factory farming one step closer to reality.
But there is still much to do. We have set challenging targets over the next few years to improve welfare standards throughout the EU and beyond.
The good news is that the food industry is receptive; momentum is gathering. Together, we can give farm animals a better life and transform the future of food production – but there is a long way to go.
You are the change
Engagement with food companies and the Good Farm Animal Welfare Awards are just some of the ways that Compassion is helping to fight factory farming. By supporting Compassion, you too are at the heart of this movement for change and can help us turn millions into billions, by making a donation today.
How we calculate the impact of our award schemes:
Good Egg Award winners are currently using or have committed to use cage-free eggs or egg products; we calculate the numbers of hens benefiting each year by compounding annual figures over the course of the awards to date (2007-2012).
Good Chicken Award winners are currently using or have committed to use higher welfare chicken within five years; the numbers of chicken benefiting each year are based on the actual and committed figures of our winners since the first year of the award (2010).
Good Dairy Award winners are currently using or have committed to use higher welfare systems for dairy cows and calves; the numbers of dairy cows and calves benefiting each year are based upon the actual and committed figures of our winners since the first year of the award (2011).
Good Pig Award winners are currently using or have committed to use higher welfare systems for sows and meat pigs; the numbers of sows and meat pigs benefiting each year are based upon the actual and committed figures of our winners since the first year of the award (2012).
Share this page
Better Chicken Initiative
There is a better way: better for our health, and for the chickens.Read more »